Sunday, May 29, 2011

The 10,000 hour rule

I read in a Malcom Gladwell book that it takes 10,000 hours of practice to become an expert at something. He proves his point with people like Mozart, the Beatles, and some computer programmer people I had never heard of...

Now 21 feels a little late to be beginning a journey into expertdom if you ask me... So I began thinking of things I'd already invested some hours into.

Could I become an expert facebooker?

What about an expert walker? I rarely fall and I'm certainly past the 10,000 hour mark on that.

Or how about an expert friend? I have had friends for years... I wonder if sending a text counts as expert training friend time?

You see the dilemma...





So here I sit with some spare time on my hands, time which could be used to facilitate my rise to expert status, and what am I doing?

Playing with my new toy, the iPhone 4. And as much as I want to tell you about the app I got for quizzing myself on yoga pose names, updating my Netflix queue, and blogging (see exhibit 1), etc. I always hated those Apple snob people that talk about it incessantly- so I will stop myself here and just say....

Only 4 of you have entered my iPod giveaway. Maybe you think it's not real or that I'm not worth following, even for an iPod shuffle. Whatever your hang up is, may I urge you to put it aside and leave me a comment?

Otherwise there is a 50% chance I will be handing this prize over to one of my coworkers, who I coerced into entering... Coerced with a smile that is. :)

You still have two days! Follow me publicly and leave a comment and you're in.

Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

3 comments:

  1. I do love a good apple product, although I definitely agree that people tend to get a bit snobbish about it. I just got a smart phone and have been secretly pretending that I'm ok that I couldn't get the iphone b/c my service doesn't have it. I'll get over it eventually...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know this rule. But I've always wanted to be really, really good at something. Or not even that. Just know everything there is to know about one subject. I haven't decided what that subject will be yet though. I'll happily take suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a wonderful picture of yourself

    ReplyDelete

What do you think of what I think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...