Saturday, November 3, 2012

Best Friends

I posted this as my FB status last night:


"Sometimes he knees me while we sleep. I usually knee him back, just so he knows I still love him."


Isaac had been up for about 48 hours studying (he likes to do things last minute, but he also likes to them well), so he crashed at 8 PM yesterday. It took me 5 hours after that to fall asleep and in those 5 hours my little sweetie pie kneed me several times, he also half woke up and gave me cute sleepy eyed smiles every now and again. You see, I've been sick all week and yesterday I spent the entire day in bed resting, hoping to kick this thing for good. I could have gone into a different room, but I like being near him when I can, even if he's sleeping, or kicking me. Maybe we're just enjoying the newly-wed period, but I just can't imagine it being any different.

Last week one of Isaac's brothers came into town and he asked us how marriage was going. Not an altogether uncommon question actually. My dad likes to ask how our marriage is too. I think it's weird. But also, I want to tell you how our marriage is. It's the best. Seriously. I just have this best friend who I get to live with and sleep with and who is always on my team. Life is hard, money is annoying, school and work are stressful, but my marriage: best part of my life, hands down.

I could go on and on about how amazing my husband is, blah blah blah, and how thankful I am for all that he does, blah blah blah. But that's not really the thing. It's not because of anything he does that I love him. It's who we are together. Our vows, which are hanging on the wall of our bedroom as I type this, go like this:


I take you to be my spouse, my friend, my love, and my lifelong partner.

I vow to share my life with you;
 to be present with you in every moment;
to build our dreams together,
while holding the space for you to grow individually;
to support you through times of trouble and rejoice with you in times of happiness;
to treat you with respect, love and loyalty through all the trials and triumphs of our lives together;
and to give you all the love I can give throughout all of time.

 This commitment is made in love, kept in faith, lived in hope and eternally made new.


And all I can really say about Isaac is that he really upholds these vows everyday, and I hope I do too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of what I think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...